A spicy bean soup with crunch and cream. This recipe will serve four as a starter or snack and two as a hearty meal. Just remember to be conservative with the Harissa!
- 1 Red onion
- Teaspoon of Onion Powder
- Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Teaspoon of Black Pepper
- A very small amount of Harissa Paste – no more than a quarter of a teaspoon
In a food processor blend together the fresh onion, onion powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and the Harissa Paste to make a deliciously pungent base for the soup.
Heat some oil in a pan, add the blended base and….
- Half a finely chopped yellow pepper
- 50g finely chopped celery
Sweat off all the ingredients for a few moments before adding…
- 400g can of blended tomatoes (canned chopped tomatoes, blended in a processor until smooth) or passatta
- A teaspoon of Vecon (concentrated vegetable stock) or a good quality vegetable stock cube
- A 300g can of Haricot Beans
Fill the can from the tomatoes up with water and add this to the soup pan to thin the soup out. Bring the soup to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Ladle into two bowls and serve with…..
- A generous handful of tortilla chips per person, crumbled over each bowl of soup.
- A spoonful of soured cream
- A little fresh parsley to garnish.